Postmaster General Flag
This month’s artifact is a government official’s distinguishing auto flag designed for the office of the Postmaster General. As head of the US Post Office Department (now known as the US Postal Service), the Postmaster General was actually a cabinet level position from 1829 all the way until 1971. The Quartermaster Corps produced flags for a variety of both military and civilian government agencies as part of its heraldry duties.
The example here is made of wool bunting and measures 15 ½” by 30 ½”. Centered on the flag’s blue background is the seal of the Post Office Department, which depicts a postal employee on horseback, evoking the image of the “pony express” days of mail delivery. A white star adorns each of the flag’s four corners in reference to the Postmaster General as head of the Department. This particular flag, which was produced at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot in 1939, would have been flown on an official vehicle in which the Postmaster General travelled.