Restoration of the steel van that housed General Dwight D. Eisenhower’s living quarters during World War II has been completed thanks to the efforts of the International Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA).
General Eisenhower referred to the vans equipped as his headquarters in the field as "circus wagons." The van at the Quartermaster Museum is the only one of four of the general’s traveling circuses to survive. In fact, when the van first arrived at Fort Lee in 1955 from storage at the Atlanta General Depot, it was kept under wraps. The other three have never been found.
The local MVPA affiliate, Virginia Military Vehicle Association and the Old Hickory Association, undertook the restoration effort.