This Week In Quartermaster History
26 February-3 March
|On 1 March 1910 the U.S. Army Quartermaster School opened
its doors for the first time with a 14-week course for Quartermaster sergeants at the
Philadelphia Depot. The curriculum soon expanded to include officers as well as senior
NCOs, and in 1921 was moved to nearby Schuylkill Arsenal, where it remained for another
As World War II approached, the School left its cramped quarters in Philadelphia on 5 October 1941, and opened the next day at its new home Camp Lee, Virginia where it has been ever since. Over 52,000 Quartermaster soldiers trained at the QM School during World War II, and tens of thousands more during the Korean War.
It took 44 years (from 1910 to 1954) for the first 100,000 students to graduate. Then came Vietnam, surpassing the 200,000 mark in 1965, and 300,000 in 1968. To date more than a half million Active and Reserve Component soldiers and DA civilians have been trained using the latest doctrine and newest equipment in the ever changing field of military logistics.
This week the Quartermaster School proudly celebrates its anniversary while still upholding its motto: Famam Extendimus Factis "We spread our fame by our deeds."
Compiled by the
U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps Historian
Fort Lee, Virginia